We had a great session with Miriam Forder, who showed us some interesting techniques on an embellisher machine. Everyone worked with their machines and most of us continued working and developing the pieces over two weeks. Thank you Miriam for a very inspiring session for Chimera.
I didn’t manage to photograph all of the pieces, do send me more images of you have them.
Here are a selection:-
Sue Gilchrist’s piece has had lots of hand stitch added
Pauline Foster’s landscape has machine stitch
Susanne Owen’s landscape, I really love the sky in this one
Mary Sotheran’s piece, lovely shapes and colours
Alison Reynolds has added hand stitch, and used a really exciting mixture of fabrics
Chris Jones’s landscape is very much work in progress here. I didn’t get a picture of how it developed as Chris worked on the middle and foreground. It was looking very different by the end of the session.
Moya McCarthy’s has lots of lovely hand stitches and is covering a book – this is the front
and the back cover
Ronnie White’s piece, gorgeous colours and lines
Pauline’s work in progress, my photograph hasn’t captured the really vibrant colours in this
and the back of the piece – really good!
We had a good session last week printing by various methods, some had gelli plates and others a variety of other things to mono print from: ikea chopping boards, perspex sheets and similar. Sue made some gelatin plates which several of us experimented with, they were quite soft and broke down delightfully as we printed.
Below are some of the results, sorry I didn’t get my camera out until some of you had gone home, as I had a very messy session! If you have pictures of more work please send and I’ll add it.
Alison R’s printing with gelli plate on paper. Patterns from pressing objects and drawing into the paint. Alison used thickened dyes to print with (left over from the breakdown printing) and lots of interesting patterned objects.
Pauline’s printed with gelli plate and some other methods too. Patterns from print blocks Pauline had made previously. I think Pauline used acrylic paint to print mixed with acrylic medium?
a few more of Pauline’s
Jane’s printed with a gellatin plate and other methods onto paper – some had been coloured previously with a variety of media- many of them Jane coloured afterwards with a thin wash, which is very effective taking out most of the white background. Where the white shows it has been printed with gel /gloss medium as a resist.
Emma’s using a gelatin plate and grid patten onto fabric. The grid is from a pizza base which shows up well.
Some of mine, which were ‘breakdown’ gelatin plate printed. Thank you Sue for making the plate. There is lots of texture from the plate as it literally cracked up! By the end I had pieces of gelatin stuck to the paper, but it dried OK. I did also use bubble wrap, natural sponge and threads to resist. All of mine are on paper with acrylic paint. I started mixing the colours with block print medium, but later just used acrylic, as it was just as effective on the gelatin.
A few more of mine, showing some of grids, bubblewrap and string resist. Some layers were made using ikea plastic chopping board plate before using the gelatin plate.
This week is your last chance to see our exhibition in Denbigh Library.
Plus.. on Friday 13th March we are holding a demo day at the exhibition. Most of Chimera are going to be there and we’ll be showing how some of the work was made.
hope to see you there